Courtesy of Embassy of Hungary Chef, Szabo Balazs
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g beef, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 150g onion, chopped
- lard or cooking oil
- 125g carrots, peeled and cut into 1-centimeter cubes
- 150g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 75g celery, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- salt, to taste
- Caraway powder, to taste
- Hungarian paprika powder, to taste
- Spicy paprika paste, to taste
- 800ml water
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the onion.
- Sprinkle in the desired amount of paprika and mix with a dash of water.
- Add the diced peppers and tomatoes, salt, caraway powder, meat and crushed garlic, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add about 800ml of water.
- Add the desired amount of paprika paste. (Note that this paste is quite salty and spicy.) Cook until the meat is soft, adding extra water if necessary.
- Add the remaining vegetables, and pasta if you like. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Serve in the pot.
Edited by: Rika Sakai & Robert Sakai-Irvine