Courtesy of Chef Victor Alonso Vázquez Campos, Embassy of Mexico, Tokyo.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 12 small tortillas
- Pork lard or corn oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 15 seeded guajillo chiles
- 1 garlic clove
- A pinch of cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
For the stuffing:
- 400 g of ranchero or feta cheese
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 1 romaine lettuce, well washed, dried and chopped
- 1/2 kg of peeled, boiled potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1/2 kg of peeled, boiled carrots, cut into cubes
- 100g of crumbled ranchero cheese for sprinkling
- Pickled pepper slices
- Blend all the sauce ingredients together.
- Dip the toritillas in the sauce and then fry in either hot lard or oil.
- Quickly after frying, aput the stuffing on the tortillas and roll them up.
- In the same oil, fry the potatoes and the carrots.
- Arrange the enchiladas on a plate and cover with the fried potatoes and carrots and then with the chopped lettuce.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and garnish with the pickled pepper slices.
On individual plates, with a fresh salad. They can also be served with a piece of boiled or fried chicken.