Courtesy by Chef Etienne Sonntag, Embassy of Spain, Tokyo.
Fish Stock for Paella
Chef Etienne’s advice: If you are short of time, good quality ready-made fish stock can be substituted, although the result will be different.
- 1 kg white fish heads & bones (turbot or red mullet, cod or monkfish)
- 2 l water
- 30 ml olive oil
- 100 g leek
- 50 g carrot
- 1/2 fennel bulb
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tomato
- 2 cloves garlic
- flat parsley, bay leaf, thyme
- Rinse the fish bones.
- Fry those bones in the olive oil in a deep pan for 5 minutes, being careful not to brown them.
- Add cold water to the bones.Bring to a boil,then skim the scum off the surface.
- Reduce heat to low and add all vegetables and herbs.Simmer for 30 minutes, then carefully strain the stock through a fine sieve.