Courtesy of Embassy of Hungary Chef, Szabo Balazs
Ingredients (serves 4)
– 500g beef, chopped into bite-sized chunks
– 150g onion, chopped
– lard or cooking oil
– 125g carrots, peeled and cut into 1-centimeter cubes
– 150g potatoes, peeled and diced
– 75g celery, diced
– 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
– 1 tomato, diced
– 1 green pepper, diced
– salt, to taste
– Caraway powder, to taste
– Hungarian paprika powder, to taste
– Spicy paprika paste, to taste
– 800ml water
1) Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the onion.
2) Sprinkle in the desired amount of paprika and mix with a dash of water.
3) Add the diced peppers and tomatoes, salt, caraway powder, meat and crushed garlic, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add about 800ml of water.
4) Add the desired amount of paprika paste. (Note that this paste is quite salty and spicy.) Cook until the meat is soft, adding extra water if necessary.
5) Add the remaining vegetables, and pasta if you like. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Serve in the pot.