Courtesy of Chef Ryo Horiuchi, Embassy of Austria, Tokyo
Austria’s Beef Goulash, “Rindsgulasch”
Beef cheek (shank or shoulder may also be used) 800ｇ
Sunflower or other vegetable oil 5 tbsp
Paprika powder 30ｇ
Tomato paste 1 tbsp
Vinegar a dash
Soup stock 400ml
Bay leaf 1
Garlic 3 cloves
Caraway seeds ½ tbsp
Marjoram ½ tbsp
Salt and pepper to taste
All-purpose flour as necessary
- Cut the beef into bite sized chunks, slice the onion crosswise, and grate the garlic.
- Dust the beef chunks with the all-purpose flour and brown them in a frying pan.
- In a separate pot, sauté the onions in the vegetable oil until golden brown.
- Add paprika powder to the onions and fry gently until the fragrance begins to rise out of the pot. Dilute the vinegar with a splash of water and add to the onions. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the tomato paste, and then add the soup stock.
- Add the beef, garlic, bay leaf, caraway seeds, and marjoram. Cover and leave to simmer.
- When the meat is soft, remove it from the soup. Strain the soup thoroughly and return the beef. Add flour to thicken the soup to the desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Translated by: Robert Sakai-Irvine